Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Raw Tacos


I have made these several times with rave reviews from my husband. I love mexican food, what I don't like is the way I feel after eating it.  This is a good substitute for days that, well you just need to feel light.  These tacos are absolutely delicious and leave you full! The walnut filling is surprisingly meaty and brings the whole dish together.  Although you don't need to make all these components to have delicious tacos the walnut filling is a must.

Raw Tacos 




Walnut 'Meat' taco filling

1 cup raw walnuts
1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp olive oil

Directions:

1. Put all ingredients in food process and pulse till mixed.


Tomato Salsa

2 heirloom tomatoes
1/2 onion diced
1/2 gypsy pepper (or any other peppers you have)
1 yellow pepper
1/2 jalapeño
2 tbsp diced cilantro
2 tsp raw honey
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1/2 lime juiced
1 tbsp olive oil

Directions:

1.  Dice all ingredients and mix together.


Raw Tomatillo Salsa
 I saw this recipe by Rick Bayless and figured it is good enough for him it has to be good enough for me. 

2 cups tomatillos husked
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup cilantro
1 jalapeño

Directions:

1. Places all items in food processor and pulse till smooth.

Cashew Cream

1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or at least 4 hours
1 garlic clove
1/4-1/2 cup water
1/2 lime juiced
1/4 chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Put all ingredients into a high powder blender.  I use the Vitamix, my dream machine.  Process till smooth.



Extra ingredients:

Avocado
Cabbage
Collard greens
Romaine
Sprouts
Limes for squeezing


Arrange your ingredients inside you shell, either cabbage, romaine, collard greens ect.  Take a big bite!




1 comment:

  1. I made these tonight, and they are amazing! Plus, it's a super easy recipe (the only time-consuming part is chopping up all of the veggies, but I'm also slow). I bought the wrong kind of lettuce and couldn't put everything together like a taco, so I chopped the lettuce and made a delicious salad with the cashew cream as a dressing. I'm so full now. Thanks for the recipe, Yana! I'm thinking I'll make the raw chocolate mousse next.

    ReplyDelete