Friday, August 9, 2013

Mushroom and Pea Barley Risotto

I love risotto.  The texture is so soft and warming.  It is so filling and I love have it with a nice glass of wine.  Our neighbors moved out and gave us a huge container of barley and I figured barley would make the perfect risotto.

Barley is also much healthier then arborio rice.  It is high in fiber, magnesium, copper, and phosphorous.  It is also a good source of Niacin, which helps reduce cholesterol and heart disease.




Barley Mushroom and Pea Risotto


6-8 cups vegetable stock (I used home-made, which I will post a recipe for soon)
2 Tbsp coconut oil, our another high heat cooking oil
1 cup Barley
1 large shallot, or onion
3-4 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup of dry white wine
2 cups of fresh mushrooms,  I used chanterelles, oyster, and shiitake (add more or less depending on how many mushrooms you like)
Salt and pepper to taste
3-4 sprigs of fresh rosemary diced
2 sprigs of fresh thyme diced
4-8 cups vegetable stock (I used home-made, which I will post a recipe for soon)
1/2 Cup of fresh peas (or frozen)
1/2 cup or more oh freshly grated parmesan, omit if vegan

In a soup pot bring vegetable stock to a boil.  Once boiled reduced heat to a simmer.

Meanwhile, is a heavy bottom pot ( I used my Le Creuset dutch oven) heat coconut oil.  Add onion or shallot and saute for 4-5 minutes until soft.  Add sliced garlic for 1 minute.  Sir in the fresh mushrooms and spices and cook for 4 minutes.  Add white wine and bring to a boil until about half the wine have evaporated.

Now begin adding the vegetable stock one or two ladles at a time.  Stir the risotto frequently and keep adding vegetable stock.  It takes anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 hour for the barley to be cooked through.  It should be firm and have some bite.  Add peas and cook for one more minute. Stir in parmesan cheese at the end.  Let cool and enjoy! Tastes great the next day too.





No comments:

Post a Comment